What are the most important things to consider when fitting up my PT-35 unit?
- RTFM Read the Manual, you will find all the relevant information is in this publication. Every unit is sold with an owners manual. If you have lost yours, then you can download one from this site. If you don’t know how to do that, ring me on 0409 910 808
- Be sure to mount the PT-35, 1 inch above your transom. This instruction is in the manual and refers to the pivot bolt extension. You can only mount it lower if you have determined that the unit will fully tilt without interference. This will be your judgment call.Click here to see photo of unit mounted correctly.
DO NOT deconstruct the unit to mount it to your boat. There is no need, and if you do so , you will jeopardize the integrity of the pivot bolts. The manual advises how to drill the mounting bolt holes.
If you have problems mounting the unit, ring me on 0409 910 808.
- Test the full up movement after you have fitted your outboard to the unit, but before you head out on the water. Make absolutely sure that the screw clamps that tighten your outboard to the PT-35, DO NOT touch any part of your transom.
- Make sure that the bolts you mounted the PT-35 to the boat with DO NOT contact the actuator during the up/down movement. If you do not follow the instructions in mounting this high precision piece of equipment, you may cause a failure to occur.
- When you test run the unit you may find that the electrical lead becomes stressed as it is forced through a right angle turn as the plate moves upward. Push the power lead under the alloy block on the outer plates, and direct it to the side. Drill a small hole in the side of the port outer-plate and secure the power lead with a zip clip. Click here to see photo of this installation.
- Mount the relays where they will not get wet. Exercise caution and common sense if you decide to mount them in the battery box.
- Remember to run the outboard as instructed by the manufacturer. Never run in the locked position unless you are moving backwards. The PT-35 does not have a relief system for the hydraulics if you were to hit something in the water.
- Download the essential fit-up tips here if you don’t know how…ring me, 0409 910 808
My unit will not run. What should I do?
- Try re-setting the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is located on the red wire coming off the positive post of the battery. Press in the small tab located on the side. The circuit breaker is now reset. Also, check thatt he connections to this circuit breaker are tight. If this does not fix the problem, proceed to the next step.
- Check the 5 amp fuse on the 16 gauge purple wire connected to the toggle switch. If fuse is blown, replace. If fuse is in working condition and receiving continuity, proceed to the next step.
- Jump power cord directly to 12V battery. This is done by following the black power cord coming out of the unit’s motor for approximately 6 feet until the disconnect is found. Disconnect the power cord from the wire assembly and locate the 10 gauge black and white wires. By using a flat tipped screwdriver, release the black and white wire from the connector by depressing the terminal on each wire. Now the black and white wires can be directly jumped to a 12V battery by touching the white wire to the positive post of the battery and the black wire to the negative post of the battery at the same time. Reversing this connection will run the unit in the opposite direction.
My unit is leaking down. What do I do?
Model 7050/7342 Hydraulic Actuator
In 9 years we have not had this problem with an actuator, but here are some tips if it does occur to you.
Run the unit up and down 2 times continuously to get rid of any air bubbles. Check to see if the actuator will hold pressure.
If it does not hold pressure, raise the unit all the way up, loosen the manual relief valve locate on the bottom side of the actuator and let the actuator leak half way down.
At this point tighten back the relief valve, raise the unit up and see if it holds pressure.
If the problem is not resolved, the actuator needs servicing or replacement. Ring CMC Sales Australia 0409 910 808
If your unit is less than one year old, contact the dealer you purchased the unit from, or ring CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808
Model DCH2500 Hydraulic Pump
These units will be from the mid eighties and beyond, not commonly found in Australia. If you own one and need parts or advise, ring me at CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808
My unit is leaking fluid. What can I do?
Model 7050 / 7342 Hydraulic Actuator
If the unit is leaking from between the main body and the valve body, make sure the bottom bolts have a torque of 150 inch / pound.
If the unit is leaking from the shaft a seal kit may be required. Return the unit to CMC Sales Australia 0409 910 808
If your unit is less than one year old, contact the dealer you purchased the unit from, or ring CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808.
Model DCH2500 Hydraulic Pump (older units, not commonly found in Australia)
In our experience these units are from the mid eighties and beyond. We don’t carry replacement parts for them but may be able to help you depending on what you need. Ring me at CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808.
My unit is stuck in the up position. What can I do?
The unit may low on fluid. See filling instructions below:
Oil type: We recommend an ISO 22 grade, anti wear hydraulic oil. Sometimes called Jack oil.
Model 7050 / 7342 Hydraulic Actuator
Remove the top fill plug and the side level plug. Pour fluid into the top fill hole until it reaches the side level hole. With both plugs left out, raise the unit up and down 3 times to bleed out any air or excess fluid. Bring the actuator to middle stroke position and replace both plugs. If the problem is not resolved, the actuator should be replaced. If your unit is less than one year old, contact the dealer you purchased the unit from, or ring CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808
Model DCH2500 Hydraulic Pump ( older units, not commonly found in Australia)
Remove the fill plug from the side of the hydraulic reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid. With the plug left out, run the unit up and down 4 times to bleed out any air and excess fluid. Bring to the top position and replace the plug. If the problem is not resolved, the pump should be replaced. If you continue to have problems with this unit ring me at CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808
My unit will run one way, but not the other.
Unplug the relays on the wire assembly and swap positions. If the unit will now run in the opposite direction one relay is bad, and needs to be replaced. If the unit will not run in the opposite direction there is problem in the wire assembly (part no. 7014). If your unit is less than one year old, contact the dealer you purchased the unit from, or ring CMC Sales Australia on 0409 910 808
What replacement hydraulic oil do I use?
We recommend a 20W / 30W non detergent oil or an ISO 22 grade anti wear hydraulic oil.
In Australia, one option for the ISO 22 is Caltex Rando 22.
Supercheap Auto sells Gulf Western Jack Oil in 1 litre packs.
How do I re-fill my actuator with oil?
- Run the Power-Lift/Trim and Tilt unit, until the actuator ram is completely extended.
- If the actuator is low on fluid and will not extend, remove the stainless filler plug with a 3/16” allen key and add fluid until ram can completely extend.
- With the filler plug removed, run the unit until the actuator rod is completely retracted.
- Let all the air bubbles run out of the filler hole until air in the fluid stops.
- Run the unit until the actuator rod is 3” extended then remove the stainless level plug mounted on the side of the unit.
- Add fluid through the filler hole until fluid begins to run out of the level hole . You can use ISO22 , SAE 20, SAE 30 non-detergent oil, or Jack oil to fill the unit.
- Replace the level plug
- THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN THE OWNERS MANUAL ,WHICH IS INCLUDED IN EVERY POWER LIFT / TRIM AND TILT BOX.
Can I send my unit in for repair?
YES, We can repair used units, send the unit to us for assessment.
You can send either the complete unit, or you can send just the actuator, if that is the part that requires attention.
Give Wayne a ring at CMC Sales 0409 910 808 to discuss what you may need.
Is my unit still under warranty?
- New CMC units are warranted for one (1) year from date of purchase against defects in workmanship and / or materials in the hydraulic system and five (5) years from date of purchase against defects in workmanship and / or material in the structure assembly.
- Units are warranted to the original owner only.
- Please see limited warranty link for more details.